When going through Tech at CIR in 2015, you will be required to provide specified information to be able to pass the technical inspection. When you tow/drive your RACE READY vehicle to our tech shack, you will be asked:
- How fast your vehicle runs
- To provide a completely filled out tech card
- To provide your driver’s license and applicable IHRA license
- To have all applicable safety apparel with you (jacket, pants, helmet, etc.) ready to be checked.
From there, the information you will need to provide varies by vehicle and class.
All vehicles must be compliant with the current IHRA rules for their class. The rules can be found Here
This is a GENERAL guide, the items listed below are the things we most commonly check during the tech inspection. Depending on your class, other rules may apply. These things MUST be in compliance to pass inspection.
Battery: must be securely tied down. Batteries that have been relocated from the stock position require a functioning, easily accessible and clearly marked master cut off switch. The switch must be connected to the positive side of the electrical system and when switched off, must shut off ALL electrical functions in the vehicle.
Cooling System: Radiator and hoses must be leak free and in good condition, a 16oz minimum overflow container must be securely attached to the overflow tube from the radiator and secured to the vehicle. Glass containers are not permitted. Antifreeze/glycol prohibited except in OEM street driven vehicles.
Clothing: A minimum of tee shirt, long pants and closed toe footwear required. See class requirements for additional gear. NO tank tops, shorts or open toed footwear allowed. For vehicles that have NON OEM “power adders” installed such as super chargers, turbo chargers or nitrous oxide systems, An SFI 3.2A/1 rated racing jacket is required regardless of ET or MPH.
Chassis Tags: Required on vehicles running 9.00 seconds or quicker.
Driver Restraints: OEM and non-dated aftermarket belts in good condition (no cuts, splits or fraying) are ok for vehicles running 11.50 or slower. Vehicles running 11.49 and faster are required to have a properly installed SFI 16.1 restraint system installed, these belts need to be recertified or replaced every 2 years.
Engine Containment: Beginning January 1, 2016, it is mandatory at Cordova International Raceway that all race entries that run 10.99 or quicker in the quarter mile, or 6.99 or quicker in the eighth mile, must use an approved IHRA or NHRA engine diaper or an approved belly pan to race. This is in order maintain racer and track safety for all participants.
Firewall: The fire wall must be fire and fuel proof. All openings must be covered either internally or externally isolating the engine compartment from the passenger compartment.
Fuel system: Carbureted vehicles must have 2 return springs installed on the throttle linkage. Except on unmodified OEM vehicles, no more than 12” of rubber fuel line can be utilized for connection purposes only. Fuel lines that run past the flexplate/flywheel area MUST either run along the outside of the frame rails, be IHRA approved steel braid line or be enclosed in a 16” length of 1/8” thick steel tubing, (extending 8” front and back of the plane of flexplate/flywheel), tubing must be securely mounted to the chassis. Fuel lines may not be run in drive shaft tunnel. No part of the fuel system may be mounted on the firewall except for a fuel pressure regulator, isolator or fuel block, and must be mounted as far away from the flexplate/flywheel area as possible. Fuel tanks and fuel cells located in the trunk MUST be separated from the passenger compartment by a sealed bulkhead (fume and fluid sealed). Fold down back seats giving access to the trunk from the passenger compartment are not considered a bulk head.
Helmet: A Snell Rated helmet of SN 2005 or newer is required for drivers of vehicles running 13.99 or faster.
License: An IHRA competition license is required for all drivers running 0-9.99 (street vehicles and above) and on all juniors.
Neutral Safety switch: All automatics must have a functioning neutral safety switch; Starter MUST be disabled when in gear. It is recommended that manual vehicles have a clutch pedal mounted safety switch that keeps the vehicle from starting until the clutch pedal is depressed.
Nitrous Oxide Systems: Systems with bottles located in or exposed to the passenger compartment need to be vented to the outside of the vehicle.
Tail Light: One functional tail light required on all entries.
Tires Wheels and Driveline: Tires must have a minimum 1/16” tread depth and be in good condition (no excessive sidewall cracking etc.). Except on unmodified OEM vehicles, wheel studs must project through wheel at least one diameter of the stud i.e. a 1/4” diameter stud must project a minimum of 1/4” past the face of the wheel, all studs and lug nuts must be installed. All vehicles running quicker than 11.49 and/or are using racing slicks MUST have an IHRA approved and properly installed 360 degree drive line loop. (Factory cross members do not count)
Windshield and Windows: All windows must be in working order and in one piece. Windshield and all windows must be free of chips cracks and holes.
- Front brakes mandatory.
- Chain guards and clutch covers mandatory.
- Engine kill switch attached to rider or factory tip over switch is required on 0 to 10.99 1/4 mile and 0 to 6.99 1/8th mile vehicles.
- A “Snap-Back” throttle required on all vehicles.
- Rigid front forks are not permitted on any vehicle.
- All machines must have properly secured seat, foot pegs, and handle grips.
- Nitrous Oxide permitted on bikes going 9.99 (6.40 1/8th mile) or quicker only. Overall safety of all vehicles will be judged by Committee. Any unsafe vehicle will not be permitted to race. Any vehicle that exhibits unsafe handling characteristics at any time will be disqualified until the Technical Committee re-admits the entry.
- Each participant agrees to familiarize himself with all applicable rules and regulations prior to competing in any IHRA sanctioned event.
- All riders must have boots/shoes above the ankle, leather gloves and a leather jacket. Any rider running quicker than 10.99 1/4 or 6.99 1/8 must also have leather pants. Pants are not required to be zipped together. Nylon or textile jackets and pants are not permitted.
- Helmet – SN2005 or newer. See General Regulations.
- All competitors running 9.99 or quicker 1/4 mile, or 6.40 or quicker 1/8 mile must have valid IHRA Competition License.